Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution

From: Trevor Linton
Subject: Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:50:48 -0600

Hi Roman,

Certainly, the problem is i haven't received my legal paperwork yet. I was supposed to receive a document to sign and send back in the mail to turn the copyright over to the FSF (or someone).

At anyrate i'm more than willing to contribute, however the code will require a lot of modification, debugging and performance improvements in order to get it ready to be used in a production environment with the ImageIO toolkit.

You can download the source at http://www.fsckblogs.com/symphony.zip ( i named the image codec project I was working on "symphony").

The symphony project had a finished JPEG decoder and partially finished JPEG encoder, finished PNG encoder, decoder as well as a Adobe Photoshop Encoder/Decoder. The rest of the codecs contained are all unfinished (such as GIF, PCD, TIF, BMP, etc.).

Note that there is one class that is NOT my code in this ZIP file, the one is com.symphony.framework.compression.PackedBits.java, this file is used to uncompress PSD photoshop files and has nothing to do with the JPEG encoder/decoder. If you want the photoshop functionality you could probably reprogram it pretty quickly or find the original copy holder and ask them permission to use it.

Let me know if you have any questions, unfortunately my schedule won't allow me to continue to maintain this code but Classpath is more than willing to take it and use it as they see fit.

Thanks Roman,
Trevor