Re: Has someone experimented with jedit?

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: Has someone experimented with jedit?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:29:06 +0200

Hi,

Me and Mark and some other guys have already experimented with JEdit. It
is a quite demanding application, so there will be alot to do before it
works nicely. The most important missing pieces are:

- JEdit depends on Java2D, which is not implemented completely and
efficiently so far, and is also not enabled by default. This is very
likely the reason why JEdit does not come up on some distros at all:
they have Java2D support disabled
- JEdit makes heavy use of the javax.swing.text package, which is also
very incomplete and buggy. This is currently beeing worked on by me and
Tony

We (especially Mark) usually test JEdit before making a release, but
since this app is not usable at all with Classpath, it is not a
showstopper. We focus on fixing Classpath with simpler apps first (like
the TestRunner that David mentioned, or the BeanShell JConsole), this
will also improve the complex application to a certain degree.

Of course it would be nice if you could regularily test JEdit against
GNU Classpath (keep in mind, you need a build with Java2D/Cairo enabled)
and post results (and/or bugreports).

Best regards,
Roman