Re: i2p liberated! [Fwd: GCJ support is on the way]

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: i2p liberated! [Fwd: GCJ support is on the way]
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:00:55 +0100

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:44 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >>   The first is a bug in GCJ (or maybe GNU Classpath, haven't tested
> >>   on Jam or Kaffe yet) - when working with a java.util.Calendar, not
> >>   all of the fields were being set correctly when they should be:
>
> According to Sven, this bug was fixed a while back in Classpath.
>
> It wasn't back-ported to 4.0.x.  For 4.1 it is waiting on my resource
> merge patch, which is sitting here needing a little more
> testing... also it is unclear if it ought to go in, given the current
> slushy state of the GCC tree.

I was going to say much the same; this story is made even better by the
fact that GCJ 4.0.2 (AFAIK) is based on a version of the Classpath code
largely from early this year (if not last).  In theory, our current
performance should be even better.

On a related note, what are the plans for gcjx?  At present, gcj seems
to suffer from the slower development cycles of the C and C++ compilers.
Will gcjx go the same way, or will it stay more in line with the
bimonthly Classpath releases?

Good work everyone,
Andrew :)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }