Re: Re[2]: Using OSG for Classpath

From: Andrew Haley
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Using OSG for Classpath
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:23:58 +0000

Peter Kriens writes:
 > TT> I've seen the OSGi idea come up before, in particular on the Harmony
 > TT> list.  I still don't understand what concrete benefit it provides.
 > TT> Could you describe that?

 > The OSGi gives you modularization. Instead of one big chunk, you
 > get many smaller chunks with well defined dependencies. This is
 > usually considered a good thing. Not only for your customers, who
 > can use just what they need, but also easier development. You would
 > also allow others to develop part of the solution. For example,
 > Eclipse uses this model to allow thousands of developers to play
 > together without having integration hotspots. Additionally, the
 > OSGi provides "private" packages, which is an extra level of
 > protection and helps future change. And last but not least, small
 > is beautiful!

But all that OSGi seems to provide is a way to _describe_ the
modularization.  But that was never the problem: it's easy to do.
There are lots of ways to do it.

The difficult job is to _do_ the modularizing.  To decide which part
goes where, and what should depend on what.  And to make the cuts that
separate the dependencies.  It seems to me that OSGi modularization
doesn't solve the real problem.  In fact, it doesn't even address it.

Andrew.