Re: Using OSG for Classpath

From: David Daney
Subject: Re: Using OSG for Classpath
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:55:27 -0800

Peter Kriens wrote:
It may be easy to describe the modularization, it is much harder to
get a large number of companies to agree on this description. OSGi is
quickly becoming the defacto standard for this type of modularization.

The OSGi has so called execution environments which are machine
readable descriptions so I could use that to create the subsets for
these execution environments. I guess I can do this from the
monolithic JAR file without intruding on the normal development.

Lets see what comes out of that exercise.

Here are a couple problems:

* Figure out how to remove references to URLClassLoader from java.lang.ClassLoader. URLClassLoader then refers to the URL related classes, these in turn refer to all of the URL protocol handlers. The HTTPS protocol handler then refers to things in ...

* SecurityManager. Need I say more? The chain of classes needed by this class is unending.

The result is that the simplest 'Hello World' program that only calls System.out.println() requires many hundreds of classes that at first glance one might not think were necessary.

David Daney.