Re: [Devjam] Re: ANN: gjdoc 0.7.6 released

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Devjam] Re: ANN: gjdoc 0.7.6 released
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:48:35 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 10:13 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> And it is using a lot of memory when building documentation.  It would
> be nice if it could be modified to use less memory during build.  I
> hope this can be improved before v1.0 is released.  I had to find a
> machine with more memory when I build the latest classpath for upload
> into debian, because gjdoc used > 250 MiB of memory on my 256 MiB RAM
> laptop. :/

Agreed that lower memory usage is always a good thing. But Julian did a
great job reducing it already. And to put things a bit in perspective
classpath is not your average project. It has more then 4000 .java
files, totaling almost 1.000.000 lines, 150+ packages and the "simple"
class hierarchy tree page listing all classes relations and interfaces
(http://developer.classpath.org/doc/tree.html) is already 1MB. gjdoc
also generates cross references for all fields and methods it finds,
which are a really huge number for the "core" libraries. (Julian, maybe
gjdoc can print some statistics about packages, classes, methods and
fields indexed after a run.) All this doesn't mean I wouldn't be excited
if someone could look at the data-structures used and see if they can
trim some fat! :)

Also note that some runtimes use much more memory then others. For
generating the classpath documentation with gjdoc I really recommend the
natively compiled gcj version because that is by far the lightest on
resource usage (not to mention the fastest).