Re: Kerberos

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: Kerberos
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:42:04 +0100

Hi Jeff,

Am Samstag, den 19.11.2005, 23:09 -0500 schrieb Jeff Bailey:
> Hi!  I sent in a patch to implement the KerberosPrincipal class.

Cool!

> What I was thinking is that there should probably really be three
> implementations of the Kerberos stuff.  The first two are glue code
> around MIT Kerberos and Heimdal Kerberos.  That way if you have a user
> who's already got a ticket, it continues to be useful in their Java
> environment.  I think this is important for distribution integration.

Yeah, I think this would be extremely helpful.

> The third is a native implementation so that people don't
> need to install Kerberos in order to have classpath installed.  I don't
> know if this is necessary or even desirable.

I think (as with many other areas too, like imageio vs imagemagick)
having an own implementation would also be very desirable. GNU Classpath
is not only targetted to be used in Linux-Distros, but also in Embedded
Systems or at least systems that are completely different from Linux
(think of all the platforms that kaffe runs on). Also I don't think a
'native' implementation makes much sense, I would prefer a Java-only
solutions for as much stuff as possible, since native code is always a
little harder to port to strange platforms. But maybe you mean with
'native' something like 'our own implementation'? Or is there something
in Kerberos that can't be done Java-only?

Cheers, Roman