Re: FreeSWTTestApps page added to wiki

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: FreeSWTTestApps page added to wiki
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:29:04 +0100

Hi Egon,

Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2005, 13:23 +0100 schrieb Egon Willighagen:
> (Please cc me, as I am not yet subscribed)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to setup a live CD for chemoinformatics, which will include
> Java software too. I already tested Jmol and JChemPaint with jamvm and
> classpath 0.18 (see FreeSwingTestApps in wiki), which doesn't go that bad
> actually, though not up to production level yet.

You probably should try latest CVS. There was a huge amount of progress
in the Swing package in the meantime.

> Yesterday a bio-/chemoinformatics platform project was announced:
> Bioclipse[1]. It's eclipse based, so normally no Swing stuff. I was able to
> boot the program with jamvm and classpath 0.18, but added a new 'view' for
> 2D and 3D rendering of molecular structures did not work with this problem:
>
> Unhandled event loop exception
> Reason:
> Not implemented [need JDK 1.5 or greater] (java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> sun/awt/X11/XEmbeddedFrame)

Bleah. It's not that this is a JDK1.5 feature which is missing, it is an
unspecified class that is used by this program or maybe eclipse. We do
not provide classes in the com.sun namespace. Maybe file a bugreport to
Eclipse or this program that they should not use such classes if they
want to produce portable code.

> I think this comes from the Eclipse RCP stuff itself, though I don't have a
> full stacktrace at this moment.

A full stacktrace would surely help to find out if this is Eclipse's
failure or from the program.

> Anyway, I added a FreeSWTTestApps to the Classpath wiki using the same setup
> as the FreeSwingTestApps page.

Very nice indeed!

/Roman