Re: Performance of java.awt.Graphics's methods

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Performance of java.awt.Graphics's methods
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:58:47 +0100

Hi Theo,

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 01:05 +0800, Theodore Thindenberg wrote:
> every new release I try of course many Swing applications as well as
> some apps using a custom toolkit which just uses AWT for lightweight
> drawing.
> All these applications run at VERY low speed, even the application
> using only lightweight drawing (and performs quite well on the
> Netscape-4.7-JVM which is really ugly, slow and buggy) is almost
> unuseable with the Gtk-based AWT peers.

What runtime are you using? Do you have an example program and
action/drawing that shows the speed being VERY slow? Is it similarly
slow when using a jit like kaffe or cacao, or when aot compiled with
gcj? How do these examples compare to the Free Swing Demo in GNU
Classpath examples?

> Is this a common problem, and if yes where is the time spent of e.g.
> drawLine or fillRect? Is it possible to profile GNU Classpath in any
> pratical way (like it is with the SUN jvm)?

When compiling to native with gcj you can just use something like
oprofile. Kaffe comes with some simple jvmpi support that might give you
some clues.