Re: Duplicate object prevention policy

From: Jan Röhrich
Subject: Re: Duplicate object prevention policy
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:16:31 +0100

> The theoretical answer depends on lots of things, such as:
>
>   1) the probable number of times that the method will be called,
>   2) the likelihood that the lookup (if implemented) will succeed,
>   3) the cost of creating the object,
>   4) the cost of the name lookup is,
>   5) the incremental GC cost if duplicate copies of the object become
>      garbage,
>   6) the incremental GC cost if the mapping data structure keeps
>      otherwise garbage objects alive,
>   7) the incremental GC cost if the application keeps duplicate
>      copies of the objects alive,
>   8) the (speculative) cost of using obj.equals(obj2) versus obj == obj2
>      if we could guarantee that objects are ONLY created via the method,
>   9) etcetera
>

> And all of these depend on the nature of the objects and the way that they
> are used in a typical application.  In short, there are no general answers.

Hi Steve,

I know that this depends on a lot of things but I just wanted to know if
this has been discussed before and if there is any "guide" for the most
likely cases.

I prefer a style of very clean "semantics" which means that I will
implement the lookup in most cases, even if there my be some performance
issues - if they're not too big.

----
Jan