Re: Hacking Classpath in Eclipse

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Hacking Classpath in Eclipse
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:50:06 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 17:53 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> We think it is now ready for a wider audience.  You can read it here:
>
> http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathHackingWithEclipse
>
> This document will walk you through setting up Eclipse, checking out
> Classpath, Cacao, and Mauve, and then trying them out.  This is still
> a work in progress, but we think the instructions here should
> generally work ok.

I played a bit more with it and it certainly has potential. The most
impressive thing is how well native Eclipse actually works! In the past
eclipse didn't really feel that stable, but the versions that come with
Fedora and Debian seem pretty solid out of the box. It is clear we did a
lot of stabilizing in the last couple of months.

The single Mauve testlet example is pretty nice. Since if everything is
setup a simple edit and save of a core library file is enough to retest
the Testlet and immediately see PASS/FAIL results.

I found a cute hack to actually run a single mauve Testlet from within
eclipse using the just compiled classpath:

$ mkdir -p ~/workspace/classpath/install/jre/lib
$ touch ~/workspace/classpath/install/jre/lib/rt.jar

Now as by magic you can add ~/workspace/classpath/install as JRE to
eclipse (under Preferences -> Java -> JREs) and then configure Runners
to use that alternative jre.

I added a quick SingleTestHarness and MauveRun Runner to mauve as an
example. With it you can immediately run a mauve Testlet that you are
working on against the classpath code you are hacking inside eclipse.

I have to get me some sleep now, but I will add it to the wiki tomorrow
if nobody beats me to it.