Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:54:05 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 19:10 +0100, Enrico Migliore wrote:
> >>The problem is that the Classpath compilation process started this
> >>morning at 8:00 and, at 5 p.m., hasn't finished it.
> >>
> >>The machine I'm using is a:
> >>
> >>CPU: Intel @ 3GHz
> >>RAM: 192 MBytes
> >>OS: WinXP
> >>case: Laptop
> >>
> >>Is it reasonable a compilation time that long?
> >>
> >yes. it is probably swapping itself to death.
> >
> Do you mean anything is going wrong?

I don't think this is normal, even with "just" 192MB memory.
What was the last output of the build? Do you have top or ps on cygwin
to see which process is active at the moment?

If it is jikes try adding -verbose to the following line in lib/Makefile
JAVAC = $(JIKES) $(JIKESWARNINGS) +F $(JIKESENCODING) -bootclasspath ''
-extdirs '' -sourcepath '' --classpath $(compile_classpath) -d .
@classes

That should at least give a clue what jikes is doing.