Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win

From: Enrico Migliore
Subject: Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 09:41:04 +0100

Hi Tom,

Enrico> (I had to disable gtk-peer because for some reason the
Enrico>  configure utility says "X is not installed"... even though X
Enrico>  is installed through Cygwin...  I'm sure X is running because
Enrico>  I got the excellent DDD debugger which is a Windows based
Enrico>  program, working on my Win2k)

config.log ought to say why the tests for X failed.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it

Enrico> CPU: Intel @ 3GHz
Enrico> RAM: 192 MBytes
Enrico> OS: WinXP

Enrico> Is it reasonable a compilation time that long?

No.

If it is not making any progress at all then I would suspect a bug in
whatever app is stuck (you mentioned jikes... you could try a
different java compiler).

Tom

Speaking about using a different compiler to build GNU/Classpath on Cygwin,
I haven't got much choice:

1. GCJ 4.0 is not available yet on Cygwin
2. Jikes hangs
3. "The kjc compiler is supported with configure but we have
     been unable to successfully compile with it" (excerpt from INSTALL)
4. Eclipse Compiler for Java 3.1+
5. GCJX is not currently supported and Dalibor says that there are
    still some problems to fix.

The only one left is the Eclipse compiler. When I try:

       ./configure --with-ecj

the configure script tells me that "ecj is not found"
ECJ is a class, embedded in the following Eclipse plugin:

        org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler
**
and therefore is not an ordinary application.

Can somebody tell me how to instruct the configure script
to use the ECJ compiler?

Has anybody ever successfully built GNU/Classpath on Cygwin?

thanks for any help,
Enrico