Target-Native Impls

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Target-Native Impls
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:09:20 +0000

Hi there,

About 1 1/2 year ago we had a hard discussion about the target native
layer in Classpath:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-08/msg00055.html

Torsten promised to provide a couple of targets so that the use of this
layer becomes more clear and useful. He did prepare the code but AFAICS
he never sent a patch to the list. I would like to do this now (I know,
a little late, but anyway). I simply targzipped the native/target
directory from Jamaicas Classpath copy. I don't expect this to cleanly
apply into Classpath sources yet, there seem to have slipped in some
minor differences in the target native layer in the meantime. If there
is interest in having this code in Classpath, I'll clean this up and
provide a real patch+ChangeLog entry. The targets included here are
(besides generic and Linux):

posix
MinGW
SunOS (aka Solaris)
embOS
RTEMS

the latter are most likely not very interesting for Classpath but should
serve as examples for two of the more exotic targets that can be handled
by the target native layer.

So, is there interest in having this stuff in Classpath? If so, then I
would like to check in these additional targets and clean things up.
Also, we would be willing to fix issues so that it is not as annoying
for others as it seems to be at the moment as well as fixing the other
native code to actually make use of the target native layer (which is
doesn't in all places atm).

What do you guys think?

/Roman