GPLv3 meeting

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: GPLv3 meeting
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:43:25 +0100

Hi all,

As most of you probably know the FSF will go through a design process
for the next revision of the GPL this year (http://gplv3.fsf.org/). I
have given some feedback on license/legal issues we have seen with the
GNU Classpath and related projects (especially about what a pity it is
that the ASL and EPL are Free Software licenses with additional or
different restrictions from the GPL which makes easy sharing of
code-bases difficult). Unfortunately I cannot make it to the v3 intro
meeting at the MIT in Cambridge, MA, USA, on January 16-17. David asked
me to see if someone else from GNU Classpath could make it:

> > I will ask around. But most hackers are coders, not legal
> > enthusiasts :) What kind of input would be expected from them?
>
> We're interested in how they read the language (since the GPL is
> written as much for programmers as for lawyers).  And we would like to
> hear stories about how licensing has affected various Free Software
> projects. We want to bring together developers to create the best
> license possible for the next fifteen years.

So if you live around Boston and are able to attend the v3 intro meeting
please register and share our stories (http://gplv3.fsf.org/launch). The
FSF also made sure that there will be Apache and Eclipse people at the
meeting.