Re: 0.20 (next year)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: 0.20 (next year)
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:54:21 +0100

Hi all,

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 12:02 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> I had wanted to push out one more new developer snapshot release (0.20)
> this year, but got distracted by setting up the new builder machine for
> automatic regression testing and the eclipse build infrastructure (both
> very cool things!). And now it seems that I might actually not have any
> internet access till the end of the year/early next year because I am
> moving houses (and the internet seems to be stuck somewhere between the
> two...). So lets move 0.20 to next year. Lets pick an arbitrary date,
> the second weekend of 2006 (between 10 and 12 January).

Internet access restored :) Seems I was confused about the dates. 10/12
January isn't a weekend, but lets try to prepare a 0.20 snapshot by the
end of this week.

> Please go over the list of features and bugs and think about what you
> can finish before 0.20. And if someone wants to go over the ChangeLog
> file and add all the big things to the NEWS file that would be really
> appreciated. Replying to this post with things you want to work on or
> things you want to postpone till after 0.20 is also appreciated to keep
> everybody in the loop.

Please don't add any new larger (vm) changes this week. The merge of all
GNU Crypto will wait till after 0.20. I haven't looked at the
target-native/vm-interface threads/proposals yet and would like to
postpone those also till next week.

> If possible it would be nice to do another generics-branch release at
> the same time. So that branch should also be remerged.

Andrew said he might be able to do this. Please let us know if you can
find time for this or whether you want someone to help do the merge.

Please do report any positive or negative stories about the current
(CVS) code base. It seems in pretty good shape. The autobuilder does
show some swing.text regressions, but I believe these are not really new
regressions. Tony and Lillian have been working on this package and much
more seems to work, so these are probably latent bugs (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath-testresults/ for the current
report). If they are not regressions then I will reset the autobuilder
reports. Chris has been setting up XML test-suites which also show nice
results (see http://builder.classpath.org/xml/)