Re: a crazy idea -- the Book

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: a crazy idea -- the Book
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:51:42 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 09:38 +0100, Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
> Great idea, I think! If this idea would move ahead, I am ready to join
> by writing sections about the javax.swing.text.html.parser,  javax.rmi
> and org.omg. package groups.  We maybe can divide chapters.  I think, it
> would be good to have the printed book and not the web site content.

I also think this is a great idea. We do have nice documentation for
some parts of the standard library, but we don't have anything
resembling a true manual for people just wishing to learn how to use all
our stuff from scratch. There is the GCJ manual, but it is super light
on details: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj

> Printing the book would probably require the initial money investment.
> This probably can be solved at least in the two ways:
> 1. The FSF pays for printing of this book and then gets the profit from
> selling it.

There is GNU Press http://www.gnupress.org/
If there is someone willing to coordinate (anybody with technical
writing experience?) the effort we should contact them and ask for help.