Re: Wierd stuff in SocketPermission

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Wierd stuff in SocketPermission
Date: 18 Jan 2006 12:50:23 -0700

>>>>> "Gary" == Gary Benson <address@hidden> writes:

Gary> Does anybody know why java.net.SocketPermission's hostport member is
Gary> declared transient?

transient means that the field is not a candidate for serialization.

Gary> I'm working on a rewrite (spurred by PR 24708)
Gary> that would replace hostport entirely but I don't want to break stuff
Gary> inadvertantly!

Go for it.  In combination with 'private', 'transient' is nice because
it means you can have a lot of confidence that removing the field
won't break anything.  In other cases you may need to do a little more
research first...

Tom