Re: [cp-patches] Re: RFC: GNU Crypto and Jessie (again)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [cp-patches] Re: RFC: GNU Crypto and Jessie (again)
Date: 23 Jan 2006 08:33:13 -0700

>>>>> "Casey" == Casey Marshall <address@hidden> writes:

Casey> Yeah, it won't work to have both implementations in the provider,
Casey> anyway (the second one added would just override the first). I didn't
Casey> remove the old MD5 or SHA-1 classes because I know some code uses
Casey> those classes directly (I think in GCJ, there may be others). The
Casey> versions from GNU Crypto should be faster, or at least just as fast;
Casey> we did put effort into optimizing these hashes.

I think for Classpath it would be fine to pick the best
implementation, and delete the others.  Gcj can be fixed up easily
enough at the next import, or can maintain a small divergence here if
need be.  (FWIW gcj uses gnu.java.security.provider.MD5
directly... but we don't depend crucially on a particular
implementation.)

Tom