classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] NNTP Provider

From: dog
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] NNTP Provider
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:13:43 +0200

dixit Dmitry Beransky:
> 1.  Glancing through the code, it got an impression that it should be
> possible to cache the list of news groups available from a particular
> server.  Yet, I can't figure out what I need to do to make caching work.
> Every time I run my program, getDefaultFolder().list() downloads the
> entire list.

list() is a very expensive operation, true. it should, as you say, be
possible to list just the groups you're subscribed to (this can be done with
listSubscribed() when you have a .newsrc file or other newsrc
implementation). otherwise i'm afraid there is just no way to know which
groups the server has. perhaps we could look at this further.

> 2.  Is there any reason information returned by XOVER is not mapped to
> corresponding MimeMessage properties (like "lines" to "lineCount" and
> "bytes" to "size")?  Currently, I've modified Acrticle, overriding
> getLineCount() and getSize() to return corresponding values from "lines"
> and "bytes" headers if they exist.  However, I'm not sure if this
> introduces any side effects.

to be quite honest, i can't remember why i didn't do this. i may have
had some good idea at the time, but looking through the specifications
now i can't see what it was. if the above mods work for you, i'll
incorporate them into the next version of the nntp provider.

thanks for the feedback
--
dog
falco | raptor | ukrmma#18