classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Java Signal Handling

From: Matthew Johnson
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Java Signal Handling
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:05:27 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Can you give us some idea of what kind of signals you want to handle?

potentially? off the top of my head, INT, TERM, HUP, ABRT, USR1/2 definitely,
maybe things like WINCH and TSTP. Anything you would want to send
with a ctrl-something or kill -SOMETHING and aren't immediately fatal
like QUIT or KILL.

> I'm not arguing against creating a signal library -- it might be a
> good idea.  What I am saying is that you're going to be quite
> restricted as to what you can do legally.
>
> Because of the tight restrictions on what you can do in a signal
> handler, I can't immediately see anything better than creating a
> thread ahead of time and triggering that thread from the signal
> handler.  The thread, in turn, creates handler threads as required.
> That way, it doesn't matter what thread receives the signal.

This is a sensible way of doing it, but it would be nice to have some
way of doing with without needing to write any C yourself. Also, signals
which mean something really bad has happened and you can't continue are
less important to catch.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson