classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Copyright on CRLFInputStream.java

From: Doug Porter
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Copyright on CRLFInputStream.java
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:46:00 -0800

Chris Burdess said:

> it's traditional to add your name to the list of authors when you update
> code, rather than remove other people's...

Sure is, when you update code. Of course, for those classes which I
updated, I didn't remove anyone's name or change the copyright.

This code in CRLFInputStream.java isn't an update. It's a complete
rewrite, Chris. The new code does not use any of the code from the old
class. Not a single method. Not a single field. Not a single line of
code. Not an algorithm.

It's completely new. Not partially new.

Hence the new copyright.

The name CRLFInputStream is the same, for the convenience of anyone who
called the old code. You can't, and shouldn't be able to, copyright a
name, as I'm sure you know. Oh, and two lines within the comments ended
up the same, which I've now changed.

Doug
--
  Doug Porter