classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider

From: Countach
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:28:20 +1000

Chris Burdess wrote:

I've done a complete overhaul of the mbox provider's file-path handling code. It should now follow the JavaMail spec much more closely, and MboxStore.getFolder will support both relative and absolute Windows and POSIX pathnames. I don't have a MacOS <= 9 or VMS system to test pathnames on, so if you have such a system, your comments and patches would be much appreciated.

If I understand the new code correctly, the MBOX code will now name folders differently depending on the platform. i.e. the hierarchy separator is backslash for windows platform and forword slash for Unix.

I wonder if this isn't a step backwards? Previously the MBOX hierarchy separator was always forward slash regardless of platform (just like URLs), and code that uses it doesn't have to worry about what platform it is on. Now with this setup, the clients of this library have to do a lot more work to get the same level of platform independance. For example, if you had a floppy disk with a java mail reader app, a config file and some mail folders you carry around with you, any config files that refer to Mbox folders won't work on different platforms. You'd have to write code remember the file separator on the previous platform, do a substitution and re-write the config file according to the new platform. This is the only Java mail provider that I can think of off hand that has this change of folder naming behaviour on different platforms.