classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] how to build a JAR

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] how to build a JAR
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:42:16 +0000

Thufir wrote:
> I don't understand how or why GNU is building JAR's the way it does.  Perhaps
> there's an historical or political reason?
>
> Generally, ant is used to build Java projects and package them as JAR's, but
> GNU seems to be using make(?).  Why is this so?

Because GNU make and automake/autoconf is the standard for GNU packages. Every
GNU package no matter what language it's written in can be installed with

./configure
make install

> The INSTALL file states:
>
> Ant build
>
> A simple Ant buildfile is included for platforms where GNU Make is not
> installed. This buildfile is not officially supported and may not provide
> options available during the standard autotools-based installation.
>

> I'm just curious because this seems at odds with other Java projects I'm
> familiar with.  Specifically I'm interested in checking out a module, the
> mail module, forking the code a bit, and building the corresponding JAR.
> However, I'm really clear on what code *to* check-out and which JAR it should
> build to.

The dependencies are documented. You should check out the mail module, and this
will build 2 jars, one containing the API classes and the other containing the
GNU implementation. If you want, you can change the build scripts to build only
one jar if that suits your purposes better.