classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Bundling gnujaxp

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Bundling gnujaxp
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:24:05 -0700

> I'm bundling jaxp with Paperclips.
>
> Up till now I've been bundling aelfred by zipping the classes up
> inside the Paperclips jar file.

At this point I think I'd prefer to see a "gnujaxp.jar" shipped as
one of the set of jars that get used.

> Does anyone have a view about whether they want this to continue?
> Should I do the same as with JSP?

In general, I think separate jarfiles for separate components
is the way to go.  (Another jarfile for JSP?)

> It seems to me gnujaxp may be quite a common dependancy.

I sure hope so ... ;-)

We'll have to hit versioning issues too.  It's going to become
important to say "release NN has problem MM".

By the way -- I grabbed the name "gnujaxp.jar" out of thin air;
it seemed reasonable and appropriate.   If anyone has issues
with that name, please speak up soon.

> For those who are interested gnujaxp is available here:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/
>

> Nic
>
> PS there are no quality issues with gnujaxp like there are with
> GNUjsp

It helps to have a couple Free Software test suites to rely on,
even turning up bugs in GCJ 3.0 (some fixed, some not).
I'll claim much credit, but not for creating the DOM suite.

I'm not sure such tests exist for JSP, and such things DO
make life a lot easier for developers.

- Dave