classpathx-xml

[Classpathx-xml] Signing gnujaxp.jar (with suggestion)

From: Ken Harris
Subject: [Classpathx-xml] Signing gnujaxp.jar (with suggestion)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:34:58 -0400

Hello GNU JAXP hackers,

I've been using GNU JAXP for a while, and I ran into a slight problem when trying to sign it with jarsigner (I'm trying to set up Java Web Start). I'm using a gnujaxp-1.0beta1.zip from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/classpathx, and the J2SDK 1.3.1 (Mac OS X).

The jar itself has entries called meta-inf/ and META-INF/. I don't know if that's legal or not in the jar/zip world, but jarsigner sees "duplicate entry" and bails. I think the jar command puts meta-inf/ in by default (for the manifest), and the Makefile adds certain other files to META-INF/ (COPYING, LICENSE, etc.).

My first thought was that changing "META-INF" to "meta-inf" (there's 6 of them) in Makefile.in would be all that's needed. It does build with a single meta-inf/, and jarsigner can sign it with no problems. (That's my suggestion.)

(Sometimes when trying to use it, I get a SecurityException thrown because "signer information does not match signer information of other classes in the same package". I'm new to Java security, so I'm still working on figuring this out -- it's not terribly JAXP-specific, but if anybody's used JAXP over Web Start or otherwise needed to sign it, a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.)

Oh, and thanks for the nice (and small) SAX2 implementation.

- Ken Harris