confuse-devel

[Confuse-devel] conditional building of examples

From: Nathan Brink
Subject: [Confuse-devel] conditional building of examples
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:20 -0500

I was wondering if building of the files in examples/ could be made optional. I'd like to have a ./configure --disable-examples option for two reasons: 1. When crosscompiling confuse for mingw32, the examples don't compile because SIGUSR*, SIGHUP, etc. aren't defined 2. Sometimes the package is installed using a package manager such as Gentoo's Portage. The examples--which are noinst_PROGRAMS that are not even used for make check or for building the parts of libconfuse--are compiled, never run, and then thrown away after running make install. This wastes a small amount of time for the user which, given confuse's short compile time, becomes somewhat significant.

I have attached a patch (which hopefully isn't eaten by the ML) that adds the --enable-examples option to ./configure. It defaults to enabling the compilation of examples so that those who download and compile the source can easily play with the examples. It has worked on my system to avoid the compilation of the examples--allowing make to return a success while crosscompiling to mingw32.

Please respond with any suggestions or thoughts about my patch/methodology/reasons.