confuse-devel

Re: [Confuse-devel] Re: libConfuse maintainer?

From: Nathan Phillip Brink
Subject: Re: [Confuse-devel] Re: libConfuse maintainer?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:09:09 -0500

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:25:34AM +0000, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:38:33AM +0200, Martin Hedenfalk wrote:
> >
> > Actually I'm swamped with work. I think the best would be if someone
> > else took over maintenance of libConfuse. Is anyone interested?

I don't have much time either, but I'd be willing to update the savannah
project and website page and cast whatever's in the repository into a
confuse-2.7 release tarball. I am registered on nongnu.org as ohnobinki.

> I could help, as I work in a project that depends on libConfuse anyway
> and think would be bad to leave a good project like this go unmaintained.
>
> What is really needed to declare 2.7 stable for release?
A tarball :-). Maybe publishing an RC, announcing it on the savannah page, and
posting here to ask for testing and feedback for a 2.7 release? I have no idea
what's best...

> > A move  to github might be a first step. Opinions?
>
> just out of curiosity, what is wrong with savannah?

Using git and telling users where to find the git tree helps make sharing
patches easier. I'm not sure if github itself is necessary, though. But since
nongnu doesn't appear to support git, github isn't a bad choice.

> in any case, I'd been maintaining a  cvs imported tree of libConfuse
> in my own git server for a while, so I though it was a good idea to
> publish it in github as you suggested :
>
>   http://github.com/carenas/confuse/tree/master

Is it possible to give martin, the original author, commit access to that
github account?

Carlo, please actually make a release of libconfuse 2.7 as soon as is possible.
I see a tag in the git repository, but it seems to me that this is not enough.
I see that vapier (Mike) has tried to submit yet another patch on Gentoo's
behalf to remove -Werror from the buildsystem where it doesn't belong . We just
need stuff to be pushed along somehow. I really look forward to a confuse-2.7
release, and I think that others would as well :-).

There is a stray -Werror flag sitting in doc/Makefile.am, tests/Makefile.am.
Removing these would be nice. I've made this and a few small Makefile.am tweaks
at git://ohnopub.net/confuse .

--
ohnobinki

Look out for missing apostrophes! (or extraneous ones)