cons-discuss

RE: Command, Depends, NT questions

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: RE: Command, Depends, NT questions
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:38:46 -0700

>       Command $CONS [qw(rings.cpy ringspyapi.py)], qw(rings.i), ...
Thanks, this helps.

> > 2. Apparently dependencies are not recursive: although
> rings.cpy depends on
> > rings.i,
> > dependencies of rings.i (with FISH) are never processed.
>
> You've specified dependencies of rings.i, but you've never
> specified any
> place where it's actually built (i.e., no Command for it).
> That probably
> explains why it isn't processed...

I use Link and Build:

    Link "$BUILD/ringspyapi/src" => "#ringspyapi/src";
    Build ("$BUILD/ringspyapi/src/Conscript");

rings.i is not being built, it is a source file in the source directry.
It is also a source file for the second command and it includes a bunch
of files. If any of these files get changed, then this command should be
re-run. How do I achieve that?

> > 3. What causes a file from the source directory to be
> copied (on NT which
> > does not
> > have links) to the build directory? In my case I need
> rings.iim included
> > into rings.i
> > to be present in the build directory.
>
> I'm not clear what you're asking.  Is this when using the Link method?

Yes, I am. Some files appear in my build directory and some do not,
while I need them.

> > 4. Which directories are searched for the files in Depends method?
>
> None.  The path names are relative to the directory in which
> the Conscript
> file lives,

Do you mean the build directory or the original source directory?

relative to the Construct file if '#' is appended to the
> beginning, or absolute.

Thanks, I will try to utilize this info.

Zach.