cons-discuss

Remark 2: Desired feature: Conscript-uptodate targets

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: Remark 2: Desired feature: Conscript-uptodate targets
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:47:39 -0800

> For each regular Program target (or maybe Install target, depending on
> where you want to run the tests from), use AfterBuild to AddTarget the
> test's log file.  Then either statically (in the Conscript) or
> dynamically (in the AfterBuild code) add a RunRegressionTest method
> for each test to be run, producing the log file you just AddTarget'ed.
>
> AddTarget'ed targets don't get looked at until all the regular
> (statically defined) targets are built, so your regression tests will
> all be run after the commands are built.  Of course this is really a
> semi-bogus dependency, since you could in theory run regression test 1
> as soon as program 1 is built.

The projects that I currently have do not consist of one Program target,
they contain libraries, executables, message files, gif files, etc.
So, I really need everything in the project to be built and installed,
before I test it.

I can achieve the result I am looking for by adding a special target,
depending on all other local targets, myself into every Conscript file.

This will add complexity and raise maintenence costs, so, I would
prefer cons providing this feature.

It is a philosophical issue: cons makes everything 'flat' by removing
the sibling walls for the efficiency of compilation.

But humans do not think about a large project as 'flat', they
partition it into more-or-less self-contained sub-projects.

Skyscrapers are not built from bricks...

The tool, which adapts to the human way of thinking,is easier to use,
methinks, and "Conscript-uptodate" targets would provide convenience
without loss of efficiency.

I wonder if anybody else thinks the same?

Zach.