cons-discuss

RE: hard links vs. sym links

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: hard links vs. sym links
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:41:11 -0400

Hi Doug.  I believe
  (setq find-file-existing-other-name t)
works on Gnu Emacs, but people tell me it doesn't on Xemacs.  (I said this
back in December, so I'm repeating myself I guess.)

Also in either emacs, you want to setq backup-by-copying-when-linked to t so
emacs writes the new version out to the same inode, and thus all other hard
links see it.  This is probably how vim works.

What I *really* would like is for the compiler error messages and gdb
messages to refer to the source file!  Unfortunately this conflicts with
some of cons' design goals.

But as to your question, I'd think symlinks would work, but you'd have to
try it out.  You would *not* want to use them in the cache, of course --
otherwise the cache ID would just point to whatever the current version is.

Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden
GenArts, Inc.                   Tel: 617-492-2888
8 Clinton Street                Fax: 617-492-2852
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA         http://web.genarts.com