cons-discuss

Cons 2.3.0 Released

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: Cons 2.3.0 Released
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

There have been numerous features added to cons since 2.2.0 I have
listed below the significant visible changes to cons (basically the
crus of the RELEASE notes).

With the latest set of development changes passing all regression
tests, cons 2.3.0 is now ready for more extensive testing to be
acceptable for release as a stable version.

The timeline that I think would be reasonable to release 2.3.0 as the
next stable version depends on how many complaints that I receive and
how much time it takes to ensure that all reported issues are handled
:-)

That said, Steven and I tested cons pretty extensively on a bunch of
platforms. This is the very first time that Cons builds and passes all
tests on Windows with both MSVC and under the cygwin world
successfully. That was a non-trivial effort and led to some nice
features in itself.

Please feel free to download cons from http://www.dsmit.com/cons or
any of its mirrors and check it out.

Thanks
rv

RELEASE NOTES (abbrev.)

Important visible changes include:

- - Configurable support for signatures based on file contents has
  been added via a SourceSignature() method and a SIGNATURE
  construction variable.  IMPORTANT:  This changes the format
  of .consign files.  Existing .consign files from prior versions
  of Cons (e.g., in a Repository) will not interoperate with this
  version.

- - Multiple single-character command-line flags can now be concatenated.

- - Multiple -q options can be used to make the build quieter.

- - The calling semantics of the semi-internal _Objects method have
  been changed to take a set of path names, not file references,
  and return the looked-up file references.  This will affect
  any user-defined methods that call the _Objects method.

- - A -S option has been used to allow a signature package to be
  specified.  -S md5::debug enables debug messages for Cons
  MD5 dependency calculations.

- - A new AfterBuild method can be used to execute Perl code after a
  target has been evaluated.

- - The sig::md5::srcsig() method has had its calling sequence changed.
  A $self argument was added to make the method object-oriented,
  allowing for better subclassing of the sig::md5 package.

- - A new RuleSet() method fetches a standard set of construction
  variables for a Microsoft Visual C environment or a traditional UNIX
  environment.

- - A new DefaultRules() method sets the default construction variables
  returned by the cons::new() method.

- - Added experimental support for building targets using Perl code