cons-discuss

Re: How do I inhibit the copying of the source files to the build tree

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: How do I inhibit the copying of the source files to the build tree
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:08:01 -0500

I have an emacs compile-mode patch (for emacs 21.1) that makes M-x next-error find the real file rather than the Linked copy -- works great on Win32 with cons just as it is. If anyone wants it just let me know. The basics of this patch will be in the next emacs, I think; then you'll just need to set a simple variable to make it find the right file.

The original reason for copying/linking the source into the build tree, IIRC, was so that if you have a Cons-generated .h file (for instance) then it will be found properly by just #include "foo.h", whereas otherwise you'd have to generate the .h file into the *source* dir rather than the build dir, which would get ugly. A small thing to be sure, but it has made my life easier on more than one occasion. P

But as far as I can tell, it should be easy to just write new CCCOM etc. rules to do what you want, right? Just stop using Link, and make your CCCOM (and all the rest) use -o%BUILDDIR%/%> or whatever you want (and make BUILDDIR contain your variant name). Cons doesn't prevent this at all.

Anthony Kolarik wrote:
I've never found an easy way to get parallel trees that contain _only_ intermediate and final product files. And I think it would be great if you could.

-- Gary Oberbrunner