consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:11:55 -0500

    Yes, it _seems_ to, if you think of owning as property. But owning can
    have other meanings. For instance, I think it could be valid to use the
    expression "their own data" when we speak of users' data. It does not
    necessarily mean we imply people have some kind of property over that
    data but that is possible, for instance if the data is totally meant to
    be private, I believe I have some property right on it.

We _could_ do this, but we would have to work at it, and the effect
would be incomplete.  It is better to use another term such as
"control", which avoids the problem entirely.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation