[coreutils] Patch to introduce FIEMAP to cp for effieicent sparse file c

From: jeff.liu
Subject: [coreutils] Patch to introduce FIEMAP to cp for effieicent sparse file copy
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:29:49 +0800

Hello,

I'd like to introduce fiemap(available in mainline kernel-2.6.27 at least) to
cp/mv commands
for efficient sparse file copy.

For the filesytems with FIEMAP supported, call ioctl(..FS_IOC_FIEMAP) could
return the extents info
mapped to a file except holes.
This would result in much faster backups for any kind of sparse files.

For now, it works for some simple tests against cp(1), any help tests are
appreciated!

I like to send out the patches for your guys review, the test scripts will be
added to
coreutils/tests and send out soon.

I'll add the fiemap support for mv(1) once the above functions become stable.

Any comments are welcomed!

Best Regards,
-Jeff