Re: [coreutils] env hangs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [coreutils] env hangs
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:22:38 -0600

Jason Pepas wrote:
> #!/usr/bin/env FOO=buzz bash

This looks very suspicious to me.  You are trying to pass *two*
arguments on the #! line.  If that worked it would be quite
unportable.  Different kernels deal with that differently.  I would
fully expect that both of those second arguments would be treated as
one, that is, no argument splitting.  But it will actually work on
some systems.

> and it just hangs (on debian using coreutils 6.9 and on ubuntu using 6.10).
> why is it just hanging?

Run it with strace.  Is it exec'ing itself repeatedly?

  $ strace ./env-test.sh

Bob