Re: [coreutils] Coreutils Solaris extensions

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [coreutils] Coreutils Solaris extensions
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:57:49 +0200

John Sonnenschein wrote:
>>> Well, the features the Solaris native versions of the coreutils have are
>>> roughly as follows:
>>>
>>> * chgrp: Windows SIDs (for CIFS/SMB shared volumes.
>>> SAMBA could possibly take advantage of this feature)
>>
>> More specifically, could you show actual command line uses for these
>> features?  That is, what flags or other syntax changes are you
>> proposing adding, that would expose these capabilities.
>
> Perhaps not, nevermind I brought it up. Although SID -> gid mapping
> could still potentially remain an option for the SAMBA folks if they
> wanted to extend it further. We do it as a function of our own
> kernel-level CIFS server
>
>> Anything that already has an existing option letter in the Solaris
>> implementation is a good argument for inclusion in coreutils under
>> the same option letter, provided it doesn't conflict with existing
>> usage in coreutils.
>
> Okay, so no problems then with features that may be Solaris specific (
> eg, Zones ) ? Assuming they'd be (#ifdef sun)'d out.

Hard to say without knowing more... like how large
the changes are, how invasive, how mature.
We make an effort to avoid in-function #ifdefs,
and prefer cpp feature tests, rather than platform-testing ifdefs.
I hope there will be few "#ifdef sun" directives.

It might be good to start by outlining one or two small, local
changes and let's go from there.