Re: [coreutils] [patch] Re: Install enhancement request: capabilities

From: Yaron Sheffer
Subject: Re: [coreutils] [patch] Re: Install enhancement request: capabilities
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 15:57:22 +0200

Hi Jim, Pádraig,

I still don't see the logic of not including capabilities in the "install" feature set. We could use chmod and chown separately, too. But still, setting owner/group and mode are a core functionality of this utility. Similarly, if we think that POSIX capabilities are important (see e.g. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RemoveSETUID), we should make their use as easy and natural as possible. For me that means at the minimum support in install, tar (and derived packaging tools) and possibly ls.

Thanks,
    Yaron