Re: command for relative path

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: command for relative path
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:43:27 -0600

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Bjartur Thorlacius
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:20:57 -0000, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Should this be added to an existing coreutils' command or add a new
>> command to coreutils? Personally I'd prefer to add a command called
>> relpath. But I'm not sure the standard organization in coreutils.
>>
> There is already an utility called realpath in Debian that does what you
> want given -s as an argument. There's also a realpath(3) wrapper in FreeBSD,

I don't see how realpath can do what I want. relpath.py gives me the
relative path of a from b. But realpath doesn't do so.

/tmp$ mkdir a b
/tmp$ relpath.py a b
../a
/tmp$ realpath -s a b
/tmp/a
/tmp/b

Also, from the manpage "realpath converts each filename argument to an
absolute pathname, ".

Would you please show me how to use realpath to compute the relative path?

--
Regards,
Peng