Re: What does 'safely' mean in man mktemp?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: What does 'safely' mean in man mktemp?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:54:02 -0600

Hi Eric,

> The GNU Coding Standards requires info documentation, not man
> documentation.  They also require concise --help output.

I can understand that the --help should be concise as it is not easy
to read a long screen output. And this is generally what other
packages do. But the following is not.

> Coreutils (and many other GNU projects) specifically choose to convert
> the --help output into a man page, since that is the lowest maintenance

I don't see the point of making the man page same as the help. Why not
make the man page same as the info. Just think about how people is
going access the info for the full information. People first have to
run 'man mktemp' then find the command "info coreutils 'mktemp
invocation'" (which is long and harder to type and remember, compared
with 'man mktemp').

Considering this, having duplicate help and man is just a waste, in my
humble opinion. It is just better to make man of the same content as
info.

--
Regards,
Peng