Re: Split command wait - Request

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Split command wait - Request
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:24:28 +0100

On 04/26/2012 01:39 AM, Quinton Dunning wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> Sometimes when I execute the split command I want to use removable media and
> take a file part over to another machine. To do this, the split command would
> have to have a switch that would pause and wait for a keystroke before
> writing the next file.
>
> I am not experienced with much programming at all and was thinking this would
> be a fantastic feature to add to split for anyone who can patch it in.

I sort of like this, but split would need two options to support it I think.

  --target-directory # so split wouldn't have to run in the mounted dir
  --confirm-create   # wait for confirmation before creating a file

I suppose you could do this with a script like the following.
But that only works when we know the size of the input.

size=$(stat --format %s "$file")
media_size=$((2*1024**3))
chunks=$(($size/$media_size + 1))
chunk=1