Re: sort -V and accents

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: sort -V and accents
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:19:50 +0200

Pierre-Jean wrote:
> I'm trying to sort a file containing accents and numbers,
> but can't find a way to do this correctly:
>
> - Without -V option, accents are correctly sorted, but not
>   numbers.
> - With -V option, numbers are correctly sorted, but not
>   accents.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> echo "
> A 10
> A 9
> E 10
> E 9
> e 10
> e 9
> é 10
> é 9
> F 10
> f 9 " | sort -f
>
> Return:
>
> A 10
> A 9
> e 10
> E 10
> é 10
> e 9
> E 9
> é 9
> F 10
> f 9
>
> --> Here accents are correctly sorted according to my
> locale: they are considered as a non accentuated letter.
> But numbers are not sorted in mathematical order.
>
> `sort -f -V` return:

The trick is to specify sorting with "-f" for the first column
and "-V" for the second.  Then it does what you seem to want:

    echo "
    A 10
    A 9
    E 10
    E 9
    e 10
    e 9
    é 10
    é 9
    F 10
    f 9" | sort -k1,1f -k2,2V

    A 9
    A 10
    e 9
    E 9
    e 10
    E 10
    é 9
    é 10
    f 9
    F 10

There are several examples showing how to use sort in the
documentation.  Run "info coreutils sort" to display it,
or find it on-line:

  https://www.gnu.org/s/coreutils/manual/html_node/sort-invocation.html