Re: suggestion for 'ls' coreutil, comma'd filesizes in -l output

From: smu johnson
Subject: Re: suggestion for 'ls' coreutil, comma'd filesizes in -l output
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:03:41 -0700

This is one of the common suggestions I hear whenever I bring up the idea with people on IRC, etc... though I realize you're not suggesting it to me as a "just use -h and forget it".

However, in case anyone reading this *IS* thinking in the back of their mind, I'd like to state for the record that I prefer to see the full size in bytes more often than 9.0K, etc, especially when I'm looking at filesizes to find if they're identical.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> But this is actually a GOOD thing!  It means that your interactive shell
> usage (typically under something like LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8) is
> human-friendly, while your scripts (at least robust scripts, such as
> ./configure scripts generated by autoconf) can force the locale to be
> sane so that they aren't dealing with unexpected input (not that 'ls -l'
> output is very reliable to parse in the first place, but it would be
> even less reliable with thousands separators).

I hadn't thought of that.  Good points.

Personally I don't use the thousands separators.  I use ls -h most of
the time to get readable human output.  A personal preference.

Bob

--
smu johnson <address@hidden>