du man page -- --separate-dirs explanation

From: C de-Avillez
Subject: du man page -- --separate-dirs explanation
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:00:51 -0500

Hello,

This comes from https://launchpad.net/bugs/1187044. The OP (although completely confused initially) raises a point that I sort of agree. The man page for 'du' states, for  --separate-dirs, "do not include size of subdirectories"; but it is not really clear what that means -- a first read I had got me also a bit confused.

On the other hand, I am having problems trying to convey something more "clear".

separate directory size from directory contents
output size of directory separate from size of directory contents

I think something like this could be used, but I would like some input before going on.

Cheers,

--
..hggdh..