Re: Generate random numbers with shuf

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Generate random numbers with shuf
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:43:30 -0600

On 07/05/2013 12:12 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
On 07/05/2013 07:04 PM, Assaf Gordon wrote:
Hello,

Regarding old discussion here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2011-02/msg00030.html

Attached is a patch with adds "--repetition" option to shuf, enabling random
number generation with repetitions.

I like this.
--repetition seems to be a very good interface too,
since it aligns with standard math nomenclature in regard to permutations.

I'd prefer to generalize it though, to supporting stdin as well as -i.

Attached is an updated patch, supporting "--repetitions" with STDIN/FILE/-e
(using the naive implementation ATM).
e.g.
   $ shuf --repetitions --head-count=100 --echo Head Tail
or
   $ shuf -r -n100 -e Head Tail

Excellent thanks.

But the code is getting a bit messy, I guess from evolving features over time.
I'd like to re-organize it a bit, re-factor some functions and make the code
clearer - what do you think?
it will make the code slightly more verbose (and slightly bigger), but
shouldn't change the running performance.

If you're getting your head around the code enough to refactor,
then it would be great if you could handle the TODO: item in shuf.c

Attached is an updated patch, with some code cleanups (not including said TODO
item yet).

-gordon