Re: dd SIGUSR1 race

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: dd SIGUSR1 race
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:05:30 +0100

On 09/26/2014 07:27 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> On 09/25/2014 03:12 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> On 09/25/2014 01:26 PM, Federico Simoncelli wrote:

We'd definitely leave the existing SIGUSR1 handling in place
but we could augment it to allow avoiding races.

Option1:
  Unblock SIGUSR1 explicitly, allowing the parent to mask that and avoid races,

Option2:
  Set the handler even if SIGUSR1 was set to ignored.

Note the default behavior for SIGINFO on BSD is to discard it,
so that doesn't have the "kill dd by mistake" issue, but does it seem
have the possibility to lose SIGINFO, so that for robustness
they'd have to be resent after a timeout.
Now that doesn't seem too onerous since you'd have to be dealing
with timeouts anyway, so one could take the same approach with existing GNU dd
implementations. I.E. just set SIGUSR1 to ignore in the parent
before the fork and then reset.
Another reason to favor Option2 is that can be easily controlled
from the shell using: trap '' USR1
Note we only print stats on receiving the SIGUSR1 so I don't see
much issue in requisitioning it (even though not strictly POSIX compliant).
Also we can even suppress that stats output if problematic with status=none.

Therefore I'm leaning towards option2.
The attached patch supports option2 by fixing up the various races.

Note this doesn't preclude also having an explicit option
to periodically output the statistics, though I'd be slightly
in favor of avoiding that if possible.

cheers,
Pádraig.