Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 10:33:42 -0600

On 06/05/2015 10:22 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 05/06/15 15:24, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 06/05/2015 08:08 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
>>> Two 'core' commands I use often are df and ls.
>>>
>>> An easy option (I would hope) to add is '-g' for gigabytes.
>>>

> We'd already rejected that feature since df -g
> behaves differently on various platforms.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rejected_requests.html

Those threads mentioned that it behaves differently on Solaris, but
didn't say how, so I checked:

On Solaris:

     -g

         Prints the entire statvfs(2) structure. This  option  is
         used  only  for mounted file systems. It can not be used
         with the -o option. This option overrides  the  -b,  -e,
         -k, -n, -P, and -t options.

Which indeed makes it harder sale. -g is flat-out non-portable, since it
has different meanings on different platforms, and not supporting it at
all may be nicer to clue users in to the fact than it would be to pick
one way and alienate users of the other way.

But can we make it more obvious that -BG does the same as the proposal
for -g?