Re: date enhancement - filter to preface each line of input with timesta

From: Shawn McMahon
Subject: Re: date enhancement - filter to preface each line of input with timestamp
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:56:53 -0500

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Evan Rempel <address@hidden> wrote:

The task is easy to solve in nearly any language, but I can not depend on awk, perl, python, tcl, java or any other interpreter to be available in all of the enviroments where the problem of missing timestamps on log lines occurs. IMHO one of the greatest strengths of the core (or more) utils is that they provide this consistency and standardization when nothing else does.

I think you could probably count on the presence of awk more certainly than the presence of an up-to-date "date".