Re: Documentation for uniq/tr

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Documentation for uniq/tr
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 05:18:55 -0800

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:18 AM, Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 25/11/15 11:17, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> On 25/11/15 09:51, John Summerfield wrote:
>>> Here, and possibly other places, you say that the following command
>>> eliminates duplicate blank lines.
>>> tr -s '\n'
>>>
>>> This is in the --group discussion.
>>>
>>> What happens is that it removes all blank lines (two or more NL characters).
>>
>> True. That is confusing.
>> I also notice that the docs for tr -s aren't accurate.
>>
>> patch coming up...

Thank you both.
Pádraig, if you make that change,

   -s, --squeeze-repeats   replace each input sequence of a repeated
character\n\
-                            that is listed in SET1 with a single occurrence\n\
-                            of that character\n\
+                            that is listed in the last specified SET,\n\
+                            with a single occurrence of that character\n\

Then you should also change the preceding line, so that it no longer mentions
"input sequence", e.g.,

     -s, --squeeze-repeats   replace each sequence of a repeated character\n\

because with -s and two sets (squeezing and translating), it replaces sequences
in the post-translation stream.