Re: Possible enhancement: file count

From: Stephane Chazelas
Subject: Re: Possible enhancement: file count
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:57:23 +0000

2016-02-29 08:48:16 -0700, Eric Blake:
> On 02/29/2016 08:23 AM, Fernando Pereira wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I was looking for the most efficient way to do that and I couldn't
> > find  satisfying answer. Of course we can use find | wc, but I am really
> > looking for a simple and efficient solution just like du exists for the
> > file size.
>
> But 'find | wc' IS efficient, and already exists on every machine,
> whereas a new method would only be available on machines updated to the
> latest-and-greatest.  Pipelines are cheap; I don't see any benefit to
> bloating tools with a new option when existing options work well.
[...]

Efficient but wrong unless you can guarantee file names won't
contain newline characters.

Portably:

find .//. | grep -c //

GNUly:

find . -printf . | wc -c

Note that it counts ".", but none of the "." or ".." entries in
any of the directories.

But I think the OP was looking for a report a la du to get a
summary of the number of files per directory (which you can then
pipe to xdu/xdiskusage for instance to get a graphical
representation).

--
Stephane